Thursday, April 12, 2012

Flunked My Test so Now I am on House Restriction


I went to see my family doctor yesterday, and she ran a lot more tests.  She is doing a blood workup, and she gave me a pulmonary function test.  I flunked it, so now I am restricted to the house on oxygen until at least Monday. Oh well, it could be worse.  At least I am home and I can sit at my computer and write.  I have a portable oxygen concentrator that I can take with me to my office.  She added another type of blood pressure medication, and is making an appointment with a neurologist.  I told my friend that I flunked the test and was put on house arrest.  She cracked up!  At least I made someone laugh yesterday!  To quote Bill Cosby, "Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it."
 

This is just another rock to climb, but remember I am from MO and that stubborn mule is my mascot.  This, too, will just make me stronger.  Besides, I have Tom to keep an eye on me and out of trouble...well, most of the time, the trouble part is the biggest challenge!

Next week, I have been invited to be the guest speaker at a first meeting of a brand new cystcectomy support group.  I have given presentations to all sorts of audiences on a variety of topics, but this is a first for me.  Do you think I need to share my story?  I have asked if they wanted me to organize it around a definite theme.  I am waiting to hear back on that.

If you want to keep up with what is happening in my world, just follow along.  Sometimes it is just like a soap opera!

Blossom that fell off the Poplar tree in our backyard.
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." ~ Jean Luc Picard




A flower on my patio.


A squirrel in our backyard.















Develop an appreciation for the present moment. Seize every second of your life and savor it. Value your present moments. Using them up in any self-defeating ways means you've lost them forever.” ~ Wayne Dyer



6 comments:

  1. Wayne Dyer is a great one to quote, I re-read his works and find myself amazed by his phrases. Your photos of your time away were great. Oh the squirrel! My parents get rabbits in their backyard. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of sources that are wonderful. They have helped me through a lot. We sometimes have as many as 12 squirrels at a time. Tom feeds them. That is a good thing because they do not bother anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sylvia, I would have been so thrilled to have you speak at a local cystcectomy support group! After my husbands surgery, we were much more "lost" than we had expected to be. The only support group that we found was one for Prostate Cancer. We went to one meeting, and it was nice.... but not the same. Your wisdom, compassion, and sense of humor will do wonders for those facing the fears and pain of bladder cancer. They have questions that they cannot articulate. They are embarrassed and humiliated by what this surgery has done to them,and their lovers. They need to know that it doesn't matter what happens to their body.... we (lovers) love their spirit, their soul...passionately.
    I haven't read the new book yet..... getting it asap!
    YOU are a wonderful "source". Thank you.
    and thanks to Tom! for feeding the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Patti, Thank you so much for your note. I was delighted when I received the invitation. Anytime I can help someone, guide them to a source, or share my experience with bladder cancer it makes my life worthwhile. I will see you there.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you pass the text next time.
    Speaking to others and sharing your story can only encourage.
    Love the quotes
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Michelle. I hope it does. We have so much to be thankful for that we often miss because we do not look for it.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Comment, so I can get feedback!