Saturday, April 28, 2012

Got Air?...Want to share!

My air has been rather short lately. I went back to the doctor on Wednesday and I flunked my respiratory function test again.  I did my research because I felt that were things being overlooked. I felt that the "obvious" diagnosis wasn't the source of the problem.  Because of all my past experiences, I have learned it is good to be pro-active when it comes to your health.


I found a very good, reliable article online, and I was able to take  some valid information to my doctor about various complications that can occur and are common for people who have had a radical cystcectomy that includes an urinary diversion replaced by one of the many types of pouches.  I made some suggestions about some things to check-out with lab work.


Yesterday, I found out that my potassium level is still low, and my B 12 is also low.  No wonder I have been feeling so yucky. 


Low B 12 can cause problems concentrating, swollen and red tongue, shortness of breath during physical exertion, fatigue, dizziness, headache, cold hands and feet, heart palpitations and chest pain.  Now we have identified the problem, we can begin to correct it.  We increased my potassium intake, and I am going to be on B 12 for a while.  Soon, I should be back in the saddle again.



Things have not been all bad.  I made it to work every day this past week. There is a feature article that will be published in the May issue of Verge magazine.  I have a book signing scheduled for May 5th. at the Inner Bean beginning at 4 p.m.  One of my photographs that I took when I was at Tybee is going to be used for the cover of my colleague Dr. Kay's book, Wings of Time, that will be published soon.


I am also going to begin a pulmonary rehabilitation program next week.  That should help me get back on my feet sooner...or I should say my lungs recover from this episode.   

"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm ... As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others." ~ Audrey Hepburn


That is where I am right now, and I hope you are too. 


"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." ~ Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a Comment, so I can get feedback!