Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A News Update on the Birth of Traveling a Rocky Road with Love, Faith and Guts

I am happy to announce that Traveling a Rocky Road with Love, Faith and Guts will be available within five to seven days on Amazon. It will also be available soon to bookstores and other online channels very soon. 

For those of you who are new visitors, and to my wonderful followers I want to say thank you for your support.  I decided on this blog entry to take a look back on the journey and bring the journey up-to-date.  I have been given an additional opportunity to advance on my quest to make bladder cancer a common word rather than one that is unheard and/or unknown. 

As I have traveled along life’s highway, I keep running into people who have let the rocks that have been thrown in their life’s road giving up on themselves, or life in general. The truth is that life is harsh, and it is not like the movies that give a false impression that it is smooth sailing. Being the hero who toughs it out and keeps on regardless of the situation is difficult, but with faith, a few guts, and the ability to laugh, it can be accomplished. It often takes a backbone, humor and a wishbone to survive it all.

Because of life’s journey can get very rough at times, I decided to write a book to share my life’s experiences so that it may inspire someone to come back fighting when life knocks them down. The book is a journey though time from childhood to mature adulthood. The stories and poems in this book reflect the lows and highs of life. The loving memories, the hardships and the things we learn as we travel the road of life. It covers an abusive mother who had mental problems because of being abused as a child, childhood polio, a rocky marriage with a husband who was often abusive, the role of caregiving, death and grief, coping with bladder cancer, asthma, losing a home and more. Therefore, to not to scare you off with gloom and doom, there are funny stories along the way and an ending that I never dreamed would happen.  The reaction of the first person other than Dr. Kay who read the book was, “I just read your manuscript of the book. “Wow!”  What higher compliment could an author get on anything she/he had written.

My hope is that the book will bring about understanding to others, and be inspiring to even more. Our journey in life has a purpose, finding it is often the most difficult task of all.

I have been so fortunate to have the guardian angels in my life. They have always been there in my darkest hour, and when I needed one the most. They have walked beside me, helped me to maintain faith and belief in myself as well as in others. I have learned that giving is much more rewarding than receiving.

My life reminds me of Robert Frost’s poem, The Road Not Taken, in the line: “Two roads diverged into a wood, and I took the one less traveled, and that has made all the difference.” I will always remember what my elementary teacher wrote in my scrapbook, “Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.” This book is not about crying, it is about getting knocked down by boulders, and standing back up in spite of them to go forward.  It’s about facing your fears and laughing at

Dr. Aman Kay, who is an internationally published author, has been helping me with this book by reviewing it. He is the one who is responsible for my poetry that has been sprinkled throughout the book. This poetry has all been published either in my book, Pulse Points of a Woman’s World, or in various literary magazines. It is poetry that is written from the heart and soul, and was the only way I could express my feelings. I once had an instructor who asked me to explain poetry. I told him that it was much the same as an artist who paints what he or she sees and feels. The difference is that the poet uses words to paint the minds pictures rather than oil paints, watercolor or some other medium.

When I began a draft for the book, I crossed my fingers and asked Dr. Kay if he would mind reading it to see if I was spinning my wheels, or should I write the book.  He encouraged me to complete it.  Now that it is finished, his review of the book is:
“Taking the rocky road with Sylvia is a joyful challenge.  It takes the reader through the most common and uncommon hardships, but at the conclusion of this delightful journey, the reader feels more joy and satisfaction: Love, faith, and incredible guts turn the rocky road into an assuring path that all of us so humanly desire.  This book is so uniquely universal in every essential aspect that I enthusiastically recommend it to all readers regardless of their age, gender, and race.” ~ Dr. Aman B. Kay
Some wonderful things have happened on this journey.  I have met new friends who have supported me in this venture.  I owe a lot to them.  One of these friends is Julie Weishaar and she has volunteered to help me with marketing.  We discovered that we have a lot in common.  Her mother is a bladder cancer survivor.  The other person is Christy who is a freelance writer, and has a blog on poetry called the Poetic Parfait.  She is a cancer survivor as well.  One of the instructors at the college where I work came to me yesterday, and she wants to have a launch party for my book when it is released.  Healthy Women is going to publish a follow-up article on my book release.  So many other people are re-tweeting my blog and supporting me and my quest in many other ways.  The next thing I found out was that I had been nominated and selected for Today's Honoree.  I can never thank you all enough for your support and help. 

Where the next part of my journey will lead, I do not know, but stay tuned for updates.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sylvia I am so happy for you! You are so genuine and I look forward to reading your book once it is released. Thank-you for the mention here as well. Much love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy,
    You make me blush! I am just me...trying to be anything else would not fit. I really appreciate your friendship. You are genuine also! Kudos to you for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Comment, so I can get feedback!